There is nothing worse than your laptop that is not turning on. Your irritation gets worse by thinking of losing all your personal and professional data.
What should you do in this situation? Take a deep breath and try to troubleshoot this condition at home on your own before taking it for repair.
Sometimes it’s not as big as it sounds. As the use of laptops increases, so do the problems attached to them.
So today, we are going to tell you some of the troubleshooting steps about how to fix if your laptop won’t turn on, which you can do while you’re at home.
Related: Laptop Brands to Avoid
Table of Contents
- Laptop Won’t Turn On? Do This To Fix It
- 1. Restart the laptop
- 2. Check the battery
- 3. Power source issue
- 4. Remove all External Devices
- 5. Screen Analysis
- 6. Electricity Drain
- 7. Usage of rescue disc
- 8. Remove docking station
- 9. Clear vents
- 10. Replace CMOS battery
- 11. Hardware default
- Conclusion: Laptop Not Turning On
- Steven Settles
Laptop Won’t Turn On? Do This To Fix It
When your laptop is not turning on, here is what you need to do. Let’s start with easy fixes first.
1. Restart the laptop
Restarting your laptop is sometimes all that is required. When your laptop has stopped working, just try this step.
If your laptop’s keypad or mouse is working, restart the laptop from the “Start” button. I bet all of you know where the “Shutdown” or “Restart” button is.
If you cannot do it with a keypad or mouse, press and hold the “Power” button for a few seconds. This will forcefully power off the laptop. Start it again now, and we hope this will fix it.
2. Check the battery
Another common reason for the laptop not working is battery failure. Try forward steps to fix this problem.
- Remove the battery, clean it, then place it back after a minute and turn on the laptop. If it is not working, then move to the second step.
- Remove the battery and use the charger to turn on the laptop. If the laptop runs, it means that there is a problem with the battery and you have to buy a new battery for your laptop.
- You can also use a laptop without installing a battery, but continue plugging a power source.
- If your laptop is not charged long enough, it will take some time to start after plugging the charger.
3. Power source issue
- If the laptop does not work even without battery install on direct AC, try again by changing the charger cord to find any issue in the cord.
- When using a charger, you should make sure that the power source outlet is properly functional.
- Properly check both parts of the charger wire to see if they are loosely attached.
4. Remove all External Devices
You can also trace your problem about how to fix a laptop not turning on by following these steps.
- Turn off the laptop first.
- Then unplug all the external devices from the laptop like the mouse, USB, DVD, printer, etc.
- Now turn the laptop on. If the laptop turns on, it means that any of the external devices are causing the problem.
- Check which device is causing the problem by checking each device alternately attached to the laptop.
5. Screen Analysis
- If the laptop is getting a full power supply, then it means that we should troubleshoot the screen problem. Sometimes the laptop is on, but the screen is not working, and people assume that their laptop is not starting.
- Remove the laptop from all external displays so that they are not interfering in the display.
- Maximize your brightness to see any difference in the screen or a very faint image. The screen changes by increasing the brightness, which means the laptop is working but not the screen.
- To check this, attach your laptop with an external display device like a TV or projector with suitable cables. If the laptop screen is showing in an external display device, that means either the LCD panel is broken or damaged.
6. Electricity Drain
Another reason for not turning the laptop on is the presence of extra static. This is an extra electrostatic charge made from the laptop’s overcharge, sometimes called an electrical clog.
If this happens, then the safety mechanism of the laptop automatically turns the laptop off to protect it from any damage or short-circuit.
This can be removed easily, Just follow the instructions and see the magic.
- Remove the battery, charger, or any external power source.
- Then, for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute, press and hold the power button.
- Now without installing the battery, plug the power source and turn the laptop on. Your laptop will be fixed. Many people make the mistake of simply inserting a battery.
7. Usage of rescue disc
It is a disc whose purpose is to repair the windows system.
It allows the computer to boot and troubleshoot the operating Windows system problem like any virus or malware caused by any software or application.
8. Remove docking station
Unplug your device from all docking stations. Insufficient power supply or faulty docking station can cause trouble to the laptop.
To check, this removes all the docking stations. Directly attach the laptop with a power adapter and then try to turn it on again.
If it works, then replace your docking station.
9. Clear vents
The common reason for the sudden shutdown of the laptop is overheating. The laptop also automatically shuts down to protect itself if overheating occurs.
This may be due to 3 reasons. You are using your laptop on the sofa, bed, or pillow; this may block the cooling vent and laptop overheating. The fans of a laptop stop working so there is no way to cool down the laptop.
Try to clean all the cooling vents as dust, hairs, and debris on the vents block the path and cause overheating.
10. Replace CMOS battery
The BIOS uses a battery on the motherboard to load the operating system. The laptop also stops working if that battery is dead.
You can also change it by yourself if you want to or just take it to the professional.
11. Hardware default
If none of the above troubleshooting helps you out, there should be a hardware problem. There may be something broken or damaged wires.
Take it to a professional to repair it. Try to replace it also if it is still in guarantee.
Conclusion: Laptop Not Turning On
We delivered all the information regarding fixing when a laptop won’t turn on, so next time you face any trouble, you can resolve it by yourself. I hope your laptop is operating well now.
If you are still unsure or have not identified the issues, please leave a comment so that we can help you with troubleshooting.
It’s also a good idea to go to a repair shop if you don’t know how to fix anything because trying to fix it yourself might make things worse.
Keep reading for more troubleshooting articles.
Steven Settles is a professional content writer with over 7 years of experience in writing for different niches, including brand reviews, technology, fitness, and more.
Currently, he is working as a content writer for WorstBrands, where he provides insightful reviews of different products, including home appliances, outdoor gear, fashion, and kitchen products. In his free time, Steven enjoys traveling and exploring new places.