There is no way you would be able to survive a scorching summer without your ice machine.
When your ice machine quits making ice, it’s a nightmare. We have got you all covered if you are a Whirlpool refrigerator user and are worried about your refrigerator not making ice.
The most common reasons for the Whirlpool refrigerator not making ice include the incorrect temperature setting, jammed ice maker, clogged water filter, or broken water inlet valve.
A Kinked water line may also affect the functionality of the ice-making assembly as it carries cold water to the component.
However, you can fix it by just straightening the wire gently to make a smooth flow of water through it.
This article will tell you about all the possible reasons why your Whirlpool refrigerator has stopped making ice.
Also, by the end of the article, you will know about some easy troubleshooting techniques to bring your ice maker back to life.
Table of Contents
Troubleshooting Guide for Whirlpool Refrigerator Not Making Ice?
Let’s look at all the reasons that can lead to this Whirlpool fridge problem and how to fix them. Let’s get started!
1. Turned off-Icemaker
An ice maker draws water from the water supply and flows it over the ice tray that freezes according to the temperature settings.
The ice maker comes with a turn-on/off button. You may have switched off the ice maker in your refrigerator if it isn’t creating ice. If that is the case, here is how you can solve it.
- Unplug your refrigerator first.
- Locate the push button. It is mostly fitted behind the front panel of the refrigerator.
- Turn it on and check it’s working after some time.
- Some new models have electronic controls to turn them on and off. So follow the model’s guide for handling it.
- Also, make sure that the water supply is properly connected to the ice maker. If it still doesn’t work, try the following test.
2. Incorrect Freezing Temperature
The ice maker works according to the given temperature settings. The incorrect temperature input may lead to no ice production.
The ice may also frost over the walls of the freezer section if it is below the recommended point.
The accurate temperature of the Whirlpool refrigerator for making ice is 0-4°C. If the temperature of your refrigerator is above 4°C, then it is likely not to make ice properly.
- Locate the temperature panel of your refrigerator. It comes on the display panel.
- Check the temperature settings and set them between 0-4°C.
- Wait for some hours to check the operation.
- Also, check the evaporator and condenser coils that might get warm. Give them a proper clean.
3. Icemaker Jammed
A jammed ice maker is a common reason for a fridge not making ice. Sometimes, the ice emerging from the ice maker is not fully frozen and remains on the ejector arm of the ice maker.
This is a common reason why the Whirlpool refrigerator does not make ice.
This slushy water might accumulate and lead to a jammed ice maker. It then prevents the ice maker from releasing new ice efficiently.
- Make sure to turn off your refrigerator.
- See if the ice is jammed on the ice maker.
- Take a plastic utensil and remove jammed ice from the ice maker (Avoid using metal; it can damage the ice maker).
- You can also use a hair dryer to melt ice from the ice maker.
4. Clogged Water Filter
A water filter makes your water clean from any contaminants. The average life of a whirlpool water filter is around 6 months, and should be changed after this.
Otherwise, its performance might be affected and can make the water taste odd.
Over time, it gets clogged with particles and causes less quantity of water, decreasing the production of ice. It can also make noise during the production of ice.
The clogged lines can also result in the Whirlpool fridge not cooling properly.
- First of all, have a replacement if you haven’t changed your filter for more than six months.
- Note the water flow within the filter. Then, locate the water filter and remove it. It will be found either within the refrigerator compartment or in the grille at the bottom.
- After that, note the water flow with the removed filter. If the water flow increases after removing the filter, the water filter might be clogged. Replace your old water filter with a new one.
- Even if you feel a change in the water taste or the pressure of the water dispenser is slow, install a new one.
5. Faulty Water Inlet Valve
Another reason your Whirlpool refrigerator is not making ice may be a faulty water inlet valve.
A valve is used to send water to the ice maker and dispenser. The right amount of pressure opens the valve decently.
It sends the water to the ice maker, while the minimum value for this is around about 30 psi.
If the pressure can’t meet its required amount, it will not allow the valve to operate correctly.
As a result, the ice maker will make small or hollow cubes in the tray if the valve is defective.
- Check the water pressure in the valve. It should be at 30-120 psi.
- If the valve is open, but the water is not coming out, the water inlet valve is faulty.
- Make a call to the company and ask the technician for the replacement.
6. Frozen or Kinked Water Line
The water line should be connected to the cold water supply correctly to get the water to make ice.
So any issue in the waterline will cause an obvious fault in the ice making.
If the water line freezes, the valve may not be opened properly to provide the water to the ice maker and stop the process.
There can also be a problem in the water supply if the line is kinked from somewhere.
- First of all, unplug all of the input power supplies in your refrigerator.
- Locate the water line behind the refrigerator.
- Ensure that the water line is linked to the cold water in the proper manner.
- Check if there is clogging in the waterline or frozen water line.
- You can clear the waterline by warm, or you can also use a hairdryer for this.
- Also, straighten the wire gently if the wire is kinked and leave enough space between the unit and the wall to avoid the kinking again.
7. Faulty Ice Maker
Suppose you have checked all the above causes and still have the problem of not making ice in your refrigerator. In that case, the ice maker compartment will be faulty.
The ice maker failure will affect all components, like the water supply or the inlet valve.
As a result, there will be no ice production in your refrigerator. You will have to change a complete ice maker because separated parts are not sold mostly.
- Test if your ice maker has any of the above problems.
- If it does not solve the problem, change your entire ice maker assembly before wasting your time.
- It is recommended to hire a professional and certified technician in this situation to get the right solution.
Check out the following blogs if you have the same problem with a different refrigerator brand:
- How to Fix Frigidaire fridge not making ice?
- Samsung Refrigerator Icemaker is not working
- Troubleshooting KitchenAid fridge ice maker
Like all other electric home appliances from the brand, the refrigerators have also earned a reputation globally.
But it is typical to have issues with these kinds of appliances. We hope this article has helped you understand the main reasons why the Whirlpool refrigerator not making ice.
And by now, you are ready to troubleshoot all the problems discussed.
However, if your refrigerator is still not making ice, you should contact a professional technician or Whirlpool customer support.
So this was all for today. Tell us if this article has helped you troubleshoot your refrigerator. Got any questions? Feel free to ask us in the comments below.
Steven Settles is a professional content writer with over 7 years of experience in writing for different niches, including brand reviews, technology, fitness, and more.
Currently, he is working as a content writer for WorstBrands, where he provides insightful reviews of different products, including home appliances, outdoor gear, fashion, and kitchen products. In his free time, Steven enjoys traveling and exploring new places.