No sane person enjoys a hot, sweltering summer. So, what’s to be done? A hot, sweltering summer with no ice in the freezer? That appears to be a frustrating situation. Right?
You have gone through all of the troubleshooting methods and are still scratching your head and unable to figure out why the ice maker isn’t working. No worries, we got the solution to this problem.
Now, you might be asking how to fix your ‘Frigidaire refrigerator not making ice’ issue?
If you’ve noticed your refrigerator making less ice, we’re here to help. Our team has compiled a list of fixes for this common problem and is ready to help you find the solution that works for you.
So, make sure to read till the end to know all the possible reasons for this common Frigidaire refrigerator problem.
Table of Contents
- Common Reasons Why Your Frigidaire Refrigerator Won’t Make Ice
- 1) Check your refrigerator’s filter
- 2) Make sure the ice maker is clean and free of debris and lint
- 3) The door is not properly closed
- 4) You have too many items in your freezer
- 5) Malfunctioning Water Dispenser
- 6) Check for Water Reservoir if Frigidaire Refrigerator Not Making Ice
- Final Words:
Common Reasons Why Your Frigidaire Refrigerator Won’t Make Ice
So, here are the six issues why the ice maker in your Frigidaire refrigerator isn’t working.
1) Check your refrigerator’s filter
Your refrigerator ice making is not working properly for a number of reasons. Sometimes, it can be that the filter needs to be cleaned or replaced. Other times, it can be that your refrigerator needs to be defrosted.
There are two filters in the refrigerator: The filter at the bottom of the refrigerator and on top of the filter. Both filters need to be replaced every year.
If your refrigerator filter is not functioning correctly, your freezer will not be able to make ice. To solve this issue, check out the following troubleshooting approaches to make it work again.
- Check if you have water running through your drip tray. If so, ensure that there is sufficient water in the drip tray.
- Check if you have a clogged drain line. Make sure that your sink trap is clear by turning on your sink and letting it run for a few seconds.
- If nothing of these methods work, the filter unit needs replacement.
If you are still unable to resolve the problem, you should call a Frigidaire service center for help.
2) Make sure the ice maker is clean and free of debris and lint
Ice maker problems can be very frustrating. You always want to have ice on hand, especially during the hot summer months. This is why having a refrigerator with an ice maker installed is important. Unfortunately, this doesn’t always work out as planned.
Your refrigerator likely has a built-in ice maker. If it is not making ice, you need to ensure that the ice maker is clean and free of debris and lint.
To clean the ice maker, follow these steps:
- Unplug your refrigerator
- Remove any water from around the ice maker by putting a towel or paper towel into it to soak up any excess water
- Place the tray that comes with your refrigerator under your sink’s drain stopper to catch the water that may be draining out of it.
3) The door is not properly closed
Your Frigidaire refrigerator won’t make ice if the door is faulty or is not closed properly. The doors may have a defective hinge or handle, or the wiring system inside the fridge may be faulty. This can lead to water dispensing or condensation problems which can make it difficult to close the door.
To fix this issue, you need to check for any signs of leaks from inside door hinges or handles, from vents on exterior edges of doors, or electrical system wires inside the fridge.
4) You have too many items in your freezer
The refrigerator doesn’t make ice? Don’t worry. It is most likely because the freezer is too full.
It is a prevalent issue that occurs when you have too many items in your freezer at once. This could be due to the fact that the shelves are not aligned with each other, or because there is too much space between them.
The best way to help your fridge make ice is to transfer some items from your freezer. You should not have more than five items in the freezer and leave at least four feet of space between the bottom of the freezer and the top of any item.
5) Malfunctioning Water Dispenser
On a hot summer day, the water dispenser in the refrigerator is one of the most useful items in a kitchen. But if it is malfunctioning, it will not only stop providing you water. But it may also cause trouble to the ice maker.
Here are some common reasons why your water dispenser may not be working as well as it used to:
- The ice machine needs to be serviced.
- If the appliance is older than 10 years old, there’s a good chance that its parts will start wearing out.
- You might have low water pressure at your house.
6) Check for Water Reservoir if Frigidaire Refrigerator Not Making Ice
When the water reservoir in your refrigerator is empty, you might notice that ice cubes are not forming or your fridge is not cooling as it should.
The most common reason for an empty water reservoir is a leak somewhere within the evaporator coil (also known as an ‘evaporator’).
The evaporator uses cold water from the water tank to cool down the air inside your refrigerator. When it gets too cold, it turns on the ice maker to make ice and defrost frozen food. If there’s a leak anywhere, your refrigerator will stop making ice. In this case you need to get it repaired by some reliable technician.
Check out our well researched guide if your KitchenAid refrigerator is not making ice.
Refrigerators are very important appliances in a household that performs many tasks. They usually create ice when the cold air is circulated inside the refrigerator. When there is a problem with this function, it may lead to inconvenience and frustration for the owner.
If your Frigidaire refrigerator is not making ice, there could be a number of common causes that we have mentioned in this post. We hope you have found this guide helpful. But, if you are still not sure about the problem, then we would suggest you hire a professional to fix the problem to avoid any mishap.
In case you are fed up with your old refrigerator and planning to buy a new one for your beautiful home, then make sure to go through the list of the worst refrigerator brands.