If your KitchenAid refrigerator’s ice maker not working, and you don’t know why. Then, there are a few things that you need to make sure of.
Is the freezer door not closed? Is the ice maker not properly connected to the water supply line? Does it seem like the refrigerator is trying to make ice but failing?
There are many possible causes for an ice maker not working correctly.
Pro Tip: Quickly fix the KitchenAid refrigerator not making ice by checking water lines and filters and ensuring doors seal properly for ice production.
Table of Contents
- 7 Ways to Fix KitchenAid Refrigerator Not Making Ice
- 1. Check the Freezer Door is Closed Tightly
- 2. Replace the Ice Cube Tray If It’s Damaged or Dirty
- 3. Clear Out Any ice Buildup that Might be Blocking the Water Line
- 4. Look For an Issue With Your Water Supply
- 5. Make Sure There’s Electricity Getting to the Refrigerator and Freezer
- 6. Reset the Fridge With a Power Reset Switch or Unplug it For Two Minutes
- 7. Cleaning and Fixing Your Refrigerator’s Frost Dispenser
- Final Words
- Steven Settles
7 Ways to Fix KitchenAid Refrigerator Not Making Ice
Ice is the lifeblood of any freezer. Without it, you can’t keep your drinks and leftovers cool or preserve fresh food.
So, you need an ice maker that works reliably, no matter what.
Therefore, today in this guide, we will look at how you can fix your KitchenAid ice maker that is not working so you can enjoy your cold beverages in your refrigerator.
Make sure to read till the end to know all the possible causes with their solutions.
Let’s start it!
1. Check the Freezer Door is Closed Tightly
One of the most common and frustrating refrigerator problems is that it’s not making ice.
This can be because the freezer door is not closed tightly or the ice maker is not working.
The freezer door of your refrigerator serves as an airway for cold air to come in and cool down the ice. If it is not closed, then warm air will come in and heat the ice inside.
This causes the ice to melt quickly, and water will leak out through a small hole at the bottom of the refrigerator, causing water stains on your floor.
In addition, it can also result in the KitchenAid fridge not cooling problem.
So, before you take any step, you need to ensure that your freezer door is closed tightly.
If you are facing this problem, then you need to follow these DIY steps.
- Check for any obstructions that could prevent the door from closing.
- Flip up the freezer door notches and see if they are engaged properly.
- Re-calibrate the refrigerator thermostat if needed.
2. Replace the Ice Cube Tray If It’s Damaged or Dirty
The ice cube tray is a key component of the fridge. It is important to keep it clean and functional because it will ensure that you can get ice cubes.
The ice tray is the part that holds the ice cubes in place. The most common issue with an ice cube tray is that it doesn’t make any ice.
If this happens, check the following to see if it’s due to a dirty tray:
- The tray could have a hole in it. Replace it if there is a hole.
- There could be cracks on the edges of the tray. Replace it.
- Another reason may be that the cubes are not freezing properly, and there’s a blockage in the machine. This could be due to dirty ice cube trays or if there’s something stuck in them. In order to fix this problem, you will need to get rid of whatever is causing an obstruction
- The water level may not be high enough. Make sure that there is enough water.
When replacing the tray, make sure to use one of equal size and quality as often as possible so that your fridge can function properly.
3. Clear Out Any ice Buildup that Might be Blocking the Water Line
It is another prevalent issue with the ice maker not working correctly. When ice buildup is blocking the waterline, it will affect the amount of ice production.
Make sure that there isn’t any buildup of ice blocking the line and causing the water not to flow properly.
If there’s no visible blockage in the pipe, try refilling it with fresh water or changing out your refrigerator’s filter cartridge.
Suppose you still have problems after doing these things. In that case, you might have a clogged ice maker, which is more difficult to troubleshoot and fix than an issue with the filters or waterline.
The best way to get rid of the clog is by using a vacuum cleaner or hose attachment on your sink faucet.
4. Look For an Issue With Your Water Supply
If the KitchenAid refrigerator is not making ice, another thing to look for is an issue with your water supply.
If the water is not getting to the ice maker, there won’t be any ice. This can happen for a number of reasons:
- The water filter needs to be replaced
- The water valve is defective
- The line from the refrigerator to the icemaker has been turned off
Still your KitchenAid ice maker not working? Check out the next possible cause.
5. Make Sure There’s Electricity Getting to the Refrigerator and Freezer
There are a number of reasons why your refrigerator isn’t producing ice. One of which is if the power to the appliance is interrupted. This can happen when a fuse blows or due to a power supply problem.
If this happens, it’s important to know a few things you can do before calling for professional help. You should check out the following four tips below:
- Make sure there’s power getting into your refrigerator and freezer by first unplugging it and then turning off the circuit breaker on your fuse box or circuit breaker panel in the utility room.
- Next, determine if your freezer door open/close switch has stopped working properly by pressing its button while watching what happens on a digital thermometer display near the switch. If nothing happens after pressing the button, then you might have a power issue.
- The refrigerator or freezer door has been left open for too long and has to be closed.
- The power cable is not plugged in or connected correctly.
6. Reset the Fridge With a Power Reset Switch or Unplug it For Two Minutes
If the ice maker is still not working properly, then you need to reset the fridge. You can reset the refrigerator by unplugging it and plugging it back in to restart it.
KitchenAid’s line of refrigerators has a freeze protection system that is designed to shut off if there are any significant power surges or outages.
Some KitchenAid models also have an internal power reset switch. You can find this on the bottom of your fridge.
7. Cleaning and Fixing Your Refrigerator’s Frost Dispenser
When you see frost in your refrigerator, just wipe it away with a dry cloth. However, if the frost is on the outside of the door, you may need to use a damp cloth.
If the frost is inside the door, it’s best to use a vacuum cleaner that has a suction nozzle on its hose.
To fix your refrigerator’s dispenser, check if your fridge has an ice cube tray that can be used as an ice cube holder.
If not, you should take out the ice and water tray or make sure that there is no ice cube tray on top of other parts of your fridge.
The most important thing here is to understand how refrigerators work to fix them appropriately.
If you’re unsure about what cleaning tools you need or how they work, please get in touch with the KitchenAid service center.
Fixing your refrigerator’s frost dispenser will increase your refrigerator’s average lifespan.
The KitchenAid refrigerator ice maker not working could be due to any of the following causes:
The water filter needs replacement, and the freezer door has become unbalanced or damaged. Or, the ice maker is defective itself.
To troubleshoot and solve this problem, you must check the water filter. And make sure that the freezer door or compartments haven’t become unhinged.
If you find no issues with the freezer, contact the KitchenAid service center to help you solve the matter.
However, if you are planning to buy another fridge brand, then go through our detailed Frigidaire Refrigerator Review to make a better decision.
Steven Settles is a professional content writer with over 7 years of experience in writing for different niches, including brand reviews, technology, fitness, and more.
Currently, he is working as a content writer for WorstBrands, where he provides insightful reviews of different products, including home appliances, outdoor gear, fashion, and kitchen products. In his free time, Steven enjoys traveling and exploring new places.