Vizio is a big name in the TV industry. However, it is known that most of the Vizio TVs share this problem in common which is not turning in.
This can be very frustrating, especially when you are in a full mood to watch your favorite TV shows or web series! So, to help you out with this problem, we have prepared a complete troubleshooting guide.
If you are a Vizio TV user facing this problem, you do not need to go somewhere else. You are on the right page, where you will find everything you need to know about troubleshooting Vizio TV won’t turn on.
Power supply issues, corrupted or outdated software, and a malfunctioning remote are the most likely causes of your Vizio TV not turning on.
You solve such issues on your own until you find the disruption is caused by hardware.
Table of Contents
- Vizio TV Won’t Turn On? 12 Reasons Why
- 1. Check power source
- 2. Power cycle your Vizio TV.
- 3. Perform a Factory Reset
- 4. Recognize capacitor problem
- 5. Remove any interference
- 6. Disable CEC
- 7. Try a different power outlet:
- 8. Power supply replacement
- 9. Is There Is Any Issue With the Power Source?
- 10. Check for the Power Cords
- 11. Faulty Internal Components
- 12. Contact Vizio support
- Conclusion: Vizio Tv Not Turning On
- Steven Settles
Vizio TV Won’t Turn On? 12 Reasons Why
You will need to reset if your Vizio TV won’t turn on. Wait 60 seconds after unplugging your TV from the wall. Reconnect your Vizio TV when the 60 seconds have passed. This will reset your TV so it will power back on.
But if that doesn’t work, read this article until the end to know all possible reasons with easy troubleshooting tips.
1. Check power source
The Vizio TV screen is blank, and you power it up and get nothing, not even a picture. Well, that’s no good! This can be an easy fix if you know what to do.
The TV may not turn on if there is a power issue, and there are a number of reasons for this.
A drop in voltage in electric power, power fluctuations, such as brownouts or blackouts, bad weather conditions, etc., may be a major cause.
Let’s discuss how to fix it.
- If the TV’s power cord is removable, double-check that it is firmly plugged into the back of the TV. Also, check the other end of the cord to make sure that it is plugged into a working electric outlet.
- If it is plugged into a power strip, make sure that the power strip itself is turned on, or try plugging the TV power cable directly into a wall outlet.
- By pressing the power button on the TV remote control, the light on the TV should turn from red to green which indicates that the TV is turned on.
- If the TV hasn’t started yet, try to turn it on by the built-in power button on the TV.
- If the TV turns on with the built-in button, that means there is something wrong with the remote. You can find our articles on troubleshooting the Vizio remote.
2. Power cycle your Vizio TV.
After checking the power source, try to power cycle your TV as well. Because sometimes the problem is not in your power cable or remote, it can also be your TV.
- First, you need to power off the device with TV buttons on the side.
- Unplug the power cable from the energy source.
- To drain any residual power that may be held in the TV, hold down the power button on the side of the TV for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Do this step with the button of the device; do not power cycle with the remote.
- Now plug back the power cable to the power outlet. Turn the TV on and verify that the problem is resolved.
3. Perform a Factory Reset
If no fix still works, consider performing a factory reset to your TV. You might hesitate as it will wipe off all your settings and data content from your TV. But you can still give it a try.
To factory reset your Vizio TV, the following is the procedure to do it.
- Grab your remote and press the menu button on it.
- Once the “menu” pops up, select “System” and then click “OK.”
- Next, you need to select “Reset and Admin” and click “OK.”
- Following that, tap on “Reset TV to Factory Defaults” and click “OK.”
- The password prompt is expected to appear on the screen. In case you have not set a custom parental code, you should enter “0000“.
- Now, the Vizio TV will turn off.
- Wait for it and observe; within 60 seconds, the TV is expected to power on.
Performing a factory reset can be enough to resolve any device-related issue. Your TV must have got back to normal and turned on by now.
4. Recognize capacitor problem
The capacitors can sometimes be replaced to solve the problem of a Vizio TV won’t turn on.
To recognize whether it is a capacitor problem or not, you can check the following situations.
- The capacitor top may be cracked or bulging.
- The television may restart on its own or may fail to start completely or occasionally.
- A bad capacitor can emit black smoke or chemical.
- You can also recognize the bad quality of capacitors by cracking and poor sound quality.
If you can find anything from the above problems, then all you need to do is simply replace the capacitors.
5. Remove any interference
Electronic interferences can also be a cause of your TV not turning on the problem. Remove any electronic appliances like microwave, computer, etc., near your TV.
Because their electronic radiations can interfere with the TV and can accuse problem sometimes.
6. Disable CEC
An HDMI feature Consumer Electronics Control is designed to control connected devices, which can sometimes cause problems in turning on the TV. Turn your TV to eco mode.
To turn it off, follow these steps.
- Go to the “MENU” and select “SETTINGS.”
- Select “CEC” and turn it off.
7. Try a different power outlet:
If you are still facing the problem after checking all the steps, then you can try to change the power outlet. Because sometimes the power cord can be damaged and the problem may not occur on other outlets.
Try to plug the power cord into another outlet that is working fine. If the TV turns on and you can hear the sound, then the problem is with the power cord.
If the TV doesn’t turn on, then the problem is with the TV.
8. Power supply replacement
If nothing else has worked so far, then you might be able to save your TV by removing the power supply and sending it in for repair.
Before you start this, make sure your TV’s standby light should not be on. If it is, this step shouldn’t be done.
If your power board is dead, you need to contact the repair store to get a replacement. This is a common problem, and it will be easy to fix if you have no power.
Vizio TVs are not known for their quality power supplies, but the good news is that you can get them repaired for around $60.
Check out this video guide on how to remove Vizio TV’s power supply.
9. Is There Is Any Issue With the Power Source?
Sometimes, the light indicates that the tv is getting energy, but there are some issues with the power which are not apparent.
If you have made sure that the remote control is working perfectly fine, you can test the power supply.
To do so, press the menu button on your remote control, and the menu pops up, then the TV is getting the required power.
If the menu doesn’t appear, then you must disconnect the power supply. Make sure cables are perfectly connected.
Also, try an extension to some other power outlet or get the system checked by a professional.
10. Check for the Power Cords
Physically damaged, broken, or loosely connected power cords can also cause disruptions in the flow of energy and prevent the TV from turning on.
If you have checked that there is no issue with the power supply, you must now inspect the power cord. This might be your issue, especially if you have kids at your home or pets like dogs or cats who are fond of playing and roaming around.
Make sure that the power cord is plugged in properly and fixed tightly. You can also unplug the cord and re-plug it after waiting for a minute.
If you see any physical damage to the cord, then it’s time to get the cord replaced.
Do not try fixing a damaged cable on your own, as it can be dangerous if you are not much familiar with this kind of technical stuff.
11. Faulty Internal Components
This is only an exception for the users who understand the working of electronics and such devices. If you are one of them, then you can identify and troubleshoot any power problem on the boards.
When a Vizio TV refuses to turn on, it is more often in the power supply board. The components at fault are mostly capacitors, diodes, and transistors.
If you see that your Vizio device has proper power outputs, and still it does not turn on, that’s a fault of the T-Con board that relays signals to the TV screen.
There can be other components at fault, but the main thing is this Timed controller board and the first thing to be suspected.
Better would be if you call a certified technician to disassemble the TV and look for the hardware faults because doing this on your own can be risky, especially if you have never done disassembling of any TV.
12. Contact Vizio support
If nothing helps you, then before going to repair your TV, follow this last step. Contact Vizio support and thoroughly explain the problem.
Their customer support agents will help you recognize and troubleshoot the problem.
For further information, go to their website, where you’ll find helpful articles, tools, and videos.
Related: Vizio TV Problems
Conclusion: Vizio Tv Not Turning On
The above-mentioned steps you can do at home without going to a repairman. Just follow the steps to troubleshoot the problem.
If you have one of the common Vizio TVs, and it’s not turning on but making a buzzing sound, or it’s only showing snow on the screen, then there is a high chance that your TV needs to be repaired.
We have stated the best answers to the problem on how to fix the issue if your Vizio TV won’t turn on. Follow each step patiently. If nothing can fix the problem, use your warranty or send it away for repair if the warranty has expired.
If all of these steps don’t work for you, let me know in the comment to help you fix the issue.
Keep reading our blogs and articles to read different troubleshooting methods about different products.
Also Read: Vizio TV Not Connecting to WiFi?
Steven Settles is a professional content writer with over 7 years of experience in writing for different niches, including brand reviews, technology, fitness, and more.
Currently, he is working as a content writer for WorstBrands, where he provides insightful reviews of different products, including home appliances, outdoor gear, fashion, and kitchen products. In his free time, Steven enjoys traveling and exploring new places.
2 thoughts on “Vizio TV Won’t Turn On? [Repair Guide 2023]”
Replaced power supply checked power cord tv still does not come on . Tried different outlets , nothing. Any other ideas?
After checking all these things, now you should call the customer service department of Vizio, they will resolve the problem easily.