For athletes, runners, and sports lovers getting their Sneakers clean is a big concern. However, washing by hand might be inconvenient, so some people prefer to use a washing machine.
Most sneakers are used in different sports played indoors and outdoors, so they are more prone to get dirty.
Keeping your sneakers clean somehow looks difficult. Again come to the main question, can you wash sneakers in the washing machine?
Table of Contents
- Can I Put My Sneakers in the Washing Machine?
- Is It Safe To Put Sneakers in the Dryer?
- How to Wash Sneakers in the Washing Machine | Complete Guide
- Step1: Remove Laces and Insoles:
- Step2: Clean the Mud and Stains from the sneakers:
- Step 3: Put the sneakers in a Mesh Bag:
- Step 4: Set the Washing Machine:
- Step 5: Dry the sneakers:
- Mistakes to Avoid When Cleaning sneakers in a Washer:
- Q1: Can Sneakers Go In The Washing Machine?
- Q2: How often should I wash my sneakers in the washing machine?
- Q3: Can you wash suede sneakers in a washing machine?
Can I Put My Sneakers in the Washing Machine?
Yes, you can wash your Sneakers in the washing machine except for sneakers made of animal-based fabric such as leather and suede.
Different types of materials are used to manufacture sneakers, like genuine leather, molded synthetic leather, polyester, polypropylene, wool, and many others.
They vary in durability, comfort, stretch-ability, UV resistance, colorfastness, and weight. Instructions on the label can give you the details about its cleaning and washing.
Related: Washing Machine Brands to Avoid
While cleaning your sneakers in the washing machine, you also need to protect your machine from any damage that the sole of your sneakers can cause.
Your sole can get heavier when exposed to water, and it can crack the drum of your washing machine.
If you put some clothes or old towels along with sneakers before spinning the wheel, it can protect your washing machine.
Is It Safe To Put Sneakers in the Dryer?
NO, you can never put your sneakers in the Dryer because heat and higher temperatures can detach the sole from the vamp. Heat can also shrink or expand the size of your sneaker.
Always go for air dry.
How to Wash Sneakers in the Washing Machine | Complete Guide
It is not difficult to wash your sneakers in the washing machine.
However, you need to consider a few things before tossing them in the washing machine to protect your sneakers and washing machine too.
- Read the label for instructions provided by the manufacturer. It will tell you about the Dos and Don’ts of washing.
- Use appropriate detergent or liquid soap for washing.
- Use a mesh bag or any other cloth-like pillow cover, towel to wrap your sneakers.
- Always wash one pair at a time
- Water temperature should not exceed 30°c. Avoid the use of warm water.
- Always use the gentle cycle option of the washing machine for cleaning.
- Always Air-dry sneakers for their longevity.
Step1: Remove Laces and Insoles:
At first, remove laces and insoles. Insoles can have tough stains on them. So, it is better to wash them separately by placing them in a mesh bag and then placing them in the washer.
Do not try too hard to remove them. Some soles are fixed with vamp using the adhesive solution, and it will be difficult for you to fix them again.
Use a soft old toothbrush or baby bottle brush gently in circular motions to clean the insole.
Step2: Clean the Mud and Stains from the sneakers:
If your sneakers have mud, grass, and grime on them, try to clean them as much as possible.
Strike the sneaker sole on the floor to get rid of the dirt on the bottom, as this can soften the grip of sneakers.
Clean the holes or the bottom of your sneakers with a toothpick or toothbrush.
Wash your sneakers in cold running water to let the dirt go away.
This step will ensure that all of the significant stains and dirt gets washed away before thoroughly cleaning trainers in the washing machine.
Step 3: Put the sneakers in a Mesh Bag:
Now you can add good quality liquid detergent or powder detergent to the washing machine’s water.
Powdered detergent can clump inside the sneakers, so we recommend liquid detergent.
After that, put your sneakers in a mesh bag or knot them in a towel or pillow cover and let them soak in the water for 5 minutes.
It will be better to wash one pair at a time.
Put some old towels and sneakers to protect the drum as naked sneakers can damage the inside of the washing machine.
Step 4: Set the Washing Machine:
Now you are all set to turn ON your washing machine but have a glimpse of these few points.
- Always use cold water whose temperature never exceeds 30°c.
- Your washing machine model should be on the gentle wash cycle
- Go for the slow spin option and let the machine run for a more extended period to have in-depth cleaning.
Step 5: Dry the sneakers:
When the washing machine completes its work recover your sneakers from a mesh bag or towel.
Use a dry towel to absorb extra water. This will help your sneakers to get dry earlier.
Do not make haste by throwing them in a dryer to dry them quickly.
Always go for Air Dry. Higher temperature or exposure to sunlight for more extended periods can detach sole from vamp due to the adhesive solution used to bind them.
Please keep them in a well-ventilated area until they get dried completely. Once it’s done, your sneakers are all set to rock the grounds.
Mistakes to Avoid When Cleaning sneakers in a Washer:
Here are a few common mistakes that you need to avoid before washing them in the washing machine.
- Do not wash leather or suede sneakers in the washing machine.
- Carefully read the instructions or label to check the manufacturer’s guidelines for sneakers wash and maintenance.
- If your sneakers have any embellishments, machine wash can damage them.
- Never use warm water.
- Always let your sneakers air dry.
Q1: Can Sneakers Go In The Washing Machine?
Yes, you can put your sneakers in the washer, but never put your Leather and Suede sneakers in the washing machine.
Q2: How often should I wash my sneakers in the washing machine?
You should clean your sneakers every 3 weeks or whenever they start looking dirty. Washing them in a washing machine will destroy their leather material, causing it to dry and crack over time. Also, if your sneakers are exposed to a lot of moisture, you should take extra care and dry them thoroughly after cleaning.
Q3: Can you wash suede sneakers in a washing machine?
No, you cannot wash suede sneakers in a washer. Suede is a material that contains oils and leather fibers that can’t tolerate the detergent and chemicals used in a washing machine. So instead, you should hand-wash suede sneakers. If the stains are really hard to remove, you can use a solution of ammonia and rubbing alcohol.
Your sneakers reflect your personality, and they provide you with the easiness and comfort to work around. Sneakers are becoming essential for social settings, and nowadays, sneakers are a staple item in one’s wardrobe.
Keeping them clean is not a big task if done with the proper technique and right guidance. Just follow the steps mentioned above, and you are good to go.
I hope this will help you in getting your cleaning right.