Yes, it is safe to put stainless steel in the dishwasher, but you cannot put every stainless steel item in the dishwasher.
If you don’t want your pots, pans, or flatware to get rust and damage, read the whole article to know which items are dishwasher safe and the correct method to clean them.
Stainless steel is a mixture of iron and chromium with different elements. It has been used for many years and is still in demand in this modern era of cutlery due to its sanitizing properties.
It is generally assumed that washing stainless steel n the dishwasher is as easy as other materials but is this true?
It is a relief to know that stainless steel can go safe in the dishwasher. But it is not as simple; there are many precautions you need to take before putting stainless steel in the dishwasher to wash them safely.
We have to go deeper and categorize stainless steel into different items to answer your question thoroughly.
Related: Worst Dishwashers
Table of Contents
Is Stainless Steel Flatware Dishwasher Safe?
Yes, it is safe, and most people are already washing their stainless steel silverware in the dishwasher without any complaints.
But, you should also know how to clean stainless steel flatware properly so that you don’t have to worry about damage to your utensils.
Follow the below instructions and precautions for washing flatware in the dishwasher without causing them any harm.
- We would recommend using silverware baskets for all the spoons, forks, and knives to separate them from other materials so that they cannot get any reaction.
- Always rinse your dishes, especially stainless steel, to avoid reacting with any acidic food left on them. Prolonged exposure to acidic food to the silverware can result in erosion.
- Knives can easily get rusted, but the dishwasher is not the one to blame. The stainless steel knife blade is made up of harder steel, and hard water can result in rust on the blades. This may also happen if you are washing those knives with your hands.
- To remove rust, use stainless steel cleaner or baking soda paste and rub with a cloth gently.
- Always dry stainless steel flatware immediately after washing to maintain their shine and quality.
Are Stainless Steel Pans and Pots Dishwasher Safe?
When it comes to whether to wash stainless steel pans and pots into the dishwasher or not, there comes a huge conflict.
Because high heat in the dishwasher can lose bolts and melt plastic handles of the pans. Harsh chemicals can also result in discoloration and spotting in the pots and pans.
Most dishwasher and stainless steel manufacturers claim that it is not safe to wash stainless steel pans and pots in the dishwasher because harsh chemicals in the detergent can damage the polish and surface of the pans.
But detergent manufacturers disagree with them, claiming their detergents are safe. To whom should you believe?
You can wash pans and pots in the dishwasher, but only under certain conditions.
To ease your confusion, read the following instructions.
- The first and most important thing to do is to check the label on your stainless steel pots to see whether they are dishwasher safe. If they are not, then go with hand washing. If they are dishwasher safe, then move to the next step.
- Always put your dishwasher-safe pots upside down on the dishwasher racks. This will help to prevent discoloration and polish damage.
- Go with the mild detergent; do not ruin your precious pots and pans by using harsh chemicals, as they can result in rust.
- Never wash silver-plated utensils and stainless steel at the same time in the dishwasher as they can get react in the presence of detergent. If you do not want to throw away your cookware, then take this as a warning.
- Dry them immediately after washing with a clean cloth.
Can Stainless Steel Kitchen Utensils Go in a Dishwasher?
Many people categorize spatulas, whisks, slicers, and serving spoons into silverware and throw them in the dishware, which is totally wrong. Because these utensils have handles that are made up of different materials like plastic, silicon, wood, etc.
These handle materials can get react with detergent and hard water, ultimately resulting in tarnish damage. The plastic handles can melt, and also, they will not get properly cleaned.
So, the short answer is no; you should not wash small stainless steel kitchen utensils in the dishwasher.
Can Stainless Steel Drinkware Go in a Dishwasher?
DrinkwareDrinkware especially travel mugs, is very popular these days. People love to carry the insulated jacketed mugs and flasks along with them during their travel and even to their offices and schools. But is washing them in the dishwasher the right way?
No, stainless steel drinkware should not be washed in the dishwasher. These travel mugs cannot withstand high temperatures, and insulation may get damaged.
Apparently, you may feel they are dishwasher safe, but with the passage of time, they will get discolored, stained, and damaged insulation. And you will have the only option to throw them away.
Hand washing them as soon as you finish your drink and at least them to avoid any stubborn stain is recommended.
If you get any stains on your mugs that are hard to clean, then use baking soda paste to clean them.
Precautions while Washing Stainless Steel in the Dishwasher
The result derived from the above discussion is that you cannot wash every item in the dishwasher.
Even if you are going to wash dishwasher-safe stainless steel, you should know a few precautions to prolong the life of utensils.
These warnings will maintain the quality of your items and also lessen the potential damage.
- Always invest in good quality stainless steel items and check the label before buying and washing.
- Always use mild detergent while washing stainless steel because harsh chemicals in strong detergents will affect the quality of your utensils.
- To avoid any stainless steel reaction with acidic food, always scrape the leftover food and rinse the dishes.
- Do not leave your dirty utensils overnight. Wash them within a few hours of using them.
- Last but not least is to dry them as soon as you wash them either in the dishwasher or you’re your hands. This practice will prevent corrosion and stains.
- Never wash silver plated and stainless steel cookware simultaneously. These both can react and will be ruined.
As the article shows, you cannot wash every stainless steel item in the dishwasher. You need to be very careful while washing dishwasher-safe items.
Place every item in their relevant rack in the dishwasher. Place dishwasher-safe cookware upside down.
Use stainless steel polisher if your utensils have become duller and blurred. If you are not sure about any item whether it is dishwasher safe or not, then do not risk it; you prefer to hand wash them.
We have elaborated on all the types, methods, and precautions you should know before you start washing stainless steel in the dishwasher. We hope this article will help you in finding your answer.
Readout more articles related to dishwasher-safe utensils.
- Can You Put Yeti in Dishwasher?
- Are Oxo Containers Dishwasher Safe?
- Are Hydroflasks Dishwasher Safe?
- Can You Put Bleach in Dishwasher?
- Can You Put Drano In Dishwasher?
- Can You Put Pans In The Dishwasher?
Steven Settles is a professional content writer with over 7 years of experience in writing for different niches, including brand reviews, technology, fitness, and more.
Currently, he is working as a content writer for WorstBrands, where he provides insightful reviews of different products, including home appliances, outdoor gear, fashion, and kitchen products. In his free time, Steven enjoys traveling and exploring new places.