Nalgene has become a necessity for those with a busy lifestyle. These durable and lightweight water bottle substitutes are perfect for adventurers like you.
If taken care of, they can last you a lifetime. One thing you need for their longevity is their regular cleaning. But is it okay to wash Nalgenes in a dishwasher?
Yes, it is completely safe to put Nalgenes in a dishwasher. But, make sure to put them in the top rack of the dishwasher as the heating element in the lower rack can cause the bottle to melt. Although Nalgene is heat-resistant, the heating element can bend, warp, or crack the bottle.
Other than dishwashing, there are some other alternative ways to wash a Nalgene bottle.
Keep scrolling to know how you can wash your Nalgene bottle with our without a dishwasher.
Table of Contents
How to Wash Nalgene in Dishwasher?
It is very easy to wash your Nalgene in the dishwasher using the same detergent to wash other kitchen utensils.
Follow the steps below to wash your Nalgene bottle in the dishwasher properly.
- Screw off the cap of the bottle and empty its contents.
- Place your bottle and cap on the top shelf of the dishwasher.
- Place it upside down in the dishwasher so that it won’t flip over when your dishwasher starts working. If the Nalgene bottle gets flipped on one side, there are chances that it might not get properly cleaned.
- Keep it on the top rack as the heating element near the lower rack can melt your Nalgene bottle.
- Turn on the dishwasher. Sit back and let the process complete.
- Once it gets cleaned, let it air-dry by putting it upside down so that the residual water gets completely evaporated.
If your Nalgene bottle is large and does not fit in the top rack of the dishwasher, then try hand washing it.
How to Hand Washing a Nalgene Bottle?
You need to follow a few steps to wash Nalgene by hand.
- Fill your bottle with warm, soapy water; better to opt for antibacterial soap. Do not add too much soap, as there is a possibility that it would leave the fragrance of that soap in it. In this case, you will feel its taste and smell when drinking from that bottle.
- If you have not used a Nalgene bottle for quite some time, let this soapy water reside in the bottle for 20-30 minutes.
- Shake the bottle well so it can clean every nook and corner of the bottle.
- If you see any particles attached to the walls or at the bottom of the bottle, use a soft bristles brush to clean that area.
- Rinse thoroughly with running water to the point where no soap is left in the bottle.
How to Clean Nalgene Bottle with Baking Soda?
If you are not comfortable with soap, you can also use baking soda to clean your Nalgene bottle. Here is how to do it.
- Take a small quantity of baking soda and dissolve it in water.
- Pour this mixture into the bottle.
- Fill the remaining part of the bottle with water and let the water stay there for a while.
- After a few minutes, shake the bottle well and then thoroughly rinse it with tap water.
How do You Clean Nalgene Bottle with Bleach?
Bleach is another good alternative for cleaning Nalgene bottles. Bleach can be used for a deep clean.
- Fill your bottle about 2/3 with warm water, and then add a few drops of bleach to it.
- Place the cap on and shake it well so the diluted water can start to work on every site.
- Let the water reside there for an hour and after that, rinse it thoroughly with running water.
- Once you have cleaned the bottle, let it dry in the air.
- Remember to put it upside down so water can go out completely.
- If you are using it after weeks, you need to place it in the open air for hours to get rid of the foul smell of the bottle.
Your Nalgene bottles are all clean and ready to be used in any adventure without any worries.
How Often Should I Wash My Nalgene Bottle?
You put your bottle to your mouth many times a day. This can give germs a chance to grow. So, it is recommended to wash your Nalgene bottle at the end of every day.
However, you can’t just wash it with water. You’ll have to use soap and hot water to eliminate all the germs. Don’t forget the cap, as the germs hide in the nooks and corners of the cap. It won’t be easy to wash these germs away so easily.
Also, you can put it in the dishwasher if you want. However, follow the instructions mentioned above for safe and proper cleaning.
If you love hiking and are a big adventurer, you might already have one or two Nalgene bottles.
With all the sweat and germs, your water bottle needs regular cleaning. There are many ways to clean a Nalgene bottle properly. However, one of the most convenient ways is to wash it in the dishwasher.
We have already mentioned a step-by-step guide for you above in the article.
Adios from our side!
Steven Settles is a professional content writer with over 7 years of experience in writing for different niches, including brand reviews, technology, fitness, and more.
Currently, he is working as a content writer for WorstBrands, where he provides insightful reviews of different products, including home appliances, outdoor gear, fashion, and kitchen products. In his free time, Steven enjoys traveling and exploring new places.