Have you ever found yourself frustrated with bad struts, or even worse, unknowingly installed a poor-quality strut in your beloved vehicle?
We’ve all been there, and today, I’m here to share Strut Brands to Avoid so you can avoid those costly mistakes in the future.
Let’s dive into the murky world of struts and save you some time, money, and headaches.
Table of Contents
- List of Worst Strut Brands to Avoid
- 1. OEM Sachs Struts: Pay More, Get Less
- 2. ACDELCO Struts and Car Parts: Longevity? Nope!
- 3. KYB Struts: A Mixed Bag of Quality and Disappointment
- 4. MOOG Struts: A Risky Gamble for Your Vehicle
- 5. Sensen Shocks & Struts: A Disappointing Choice with Short Lifespan
- 6. Cciyu Struts: Low Price, Low Quality, and Noisy Disappointment
- 7. BAVAUTO Replacement Parts: Low Standards Galore
- The Problems with Cheap Struts: A False Economy
- Best Strut Brands: Quality, Comfort, and Durability
- 1. TrueDrive: Affordability Meets Quality
- 2. Monroe: Unparalleled Quality and Comfort
- 3. Motorcraft: Reliable and Affordable Performance
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Steven Settles
List of Worst Strut Brands to Avoid
Based on our extensive testing and findings, we have compiled a list of the worst strut brands to avoid. Our analysis has taken into account several factors, such as durability, performance, and customer feedback.
The following table presents a concise overview of these brands and highlights the issues and drawbacks that make them a poor choice for your vehicle.
By steering clear of these problematic brands, you can invest in better alternatives and ensure a smooth, comfortable, and safe driving experience.
|Strut Brand||Issues & Drawbacks|
|1. OEM Sachs Struts||– Less durability for price; Popular car brand association doesn’t guarantee quality|
|2. ACDELCO Struts||– No longevity; Widespread discontent|
|3. KYB Struts||– Ride quality deterioration; Durability concerns; Compatibility issues with lowering springs|
|4. MOOG Struts||– Inconsistent dimensions; Mounting difficulties; Potential damage to sway bars; Stiffer ride quality|
|5. Sensen Shocks & Struts||– Poor durability; Short lifespan; Unsatisfactory customer reviews|
|6. Cciyu Struts||– Inconsistent quality; Excessive noise; Unreliable performance|
|7. BAVAUTO Replacement Parts||– Low standard; Negative customer experiences|
1. OEM Sachs Struts: Pay More, Get Less
I hate to break it to you, but OEM Sachs Struts are one of those strut brands you should avoid. Despite their popularity with manufacturers like BMW and other renowned car brands, these struts fall short in terms of durability for their price.
Yes, you heard me right; you’re paying a premium for these bad struts, but they won’t last as long as you’d hoped.
A few drawbacks you should know about OEM Sachs Struts:
- Less Durability for Price: For the amount you’re shelling out, you’d expect these struts to last much longer than they actually do.
- Popular Car Brand Association: Don’t be fooled by the fact that they’re used in some popular car brands. It doesn’t guarantee their quality.
2. ACDELCO Struts and Car Parts: Longevity? Nope!
Another brand that’s earned a spot on our “Strut Brands to Avoid” list is ACDELCO. Although they offer a variety of car parts, including struts, they’re notorious for their lack of longevity. It’s like they were made to give up on you just when you start trusting them.
Why you should think twice about ACDELCO Struts:
- No Longevity: These struts are infamous for not lasting as long as you’d expect. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself replacing them sooner than anticipated.
- Widespread Discontent: Many customers have complained about the poor quality of ACDELCO Struts on various forums. You’re not alone in your dissatisfaction.
3. KYB Struts: A Mixed Bag of Quality and Disappointment
KYB Struts, though popular and generally well-received, have a few drawbacks that you should be aware of before making a decision.
While many customers rate them 8/10 for their value and quality, it’s important to note that they are not without their defects.
The Lowdown on KYB Struts:
- Ride Quality Deterioration: Some customers have reported that their ride quality started out great but soon became harsh after using KYB Struts. This could be a sign that the struts aren’t living up to their expectations in terms of performance.
- Durability Concerns: Despite their initial performance, KYB Struts may not be the most durable option on the market. According to customer feedback, after a few months of use, they begin to transmit the imperfections of the road into the vehicle.
- Compatibility Issues with Lowering Springs: If you’re considering using KYB Struts with lowering springs, think again. Customers have reported that the combination results in a bumpy ride after just 2,000 miles, forcing them to spend more money on a replacement pair.
4. MOOG Struts: A Risky Gamble for Your Vehicle
MOOG is a brand that offers car replacement products through popular online platforms like eBay and Amazon.
However, it’s crucial to approach their struts with caution, as they have a mixed reputation. While some customers find them to be of exceptional value, others have encountered various issues that make them a less-than-satisfactory choice.
What to Watch Out for with MOOG Struts:
- Inconsistent Dimensions: One common issue with MOOG Struts is that they may not match the height of your vehicle, forcing you to look for an alternative. This inconsistency can be a frustrating and costly experience for customers.
- Mounting Difficulties: MOOG Struts can be challenging to mount, as the brand doesn’t provide sufficient information regarding clearance. This lack of guidance can result in a time-consuming and frustrating installation process.
- Potential Damage to Sway Bars: In some cases, customers have reported that the sway bar links become stuck or even break while trying to separate them from the strut. This is not only inconvenient but may also lead to additional expenses for repairs.
- Stiffer Ride Quality: MOOG Struts have been known to deliver a stiffer ride with a slight bounce, which can be disappointing for those expecting a smooth and comfortable driving experience.
5. Sensen Shocks & Struts: A Disappointing Choice with Short Lifespan
My friend once had a disheartening experience with Sensen Shocks & Struts, and I’m here to share that story to help you make an informed decision.
Just like many other bad struts on the market, Sensen struts suffer from durability and longevity issues.
Their low-quality materials and inefficient design make them susceptible to shocks and bumps, often breaking within a mere 1,000 miles.
The Downside of Sensen Shocks & Struts:
- Poor Durability: Sensen struts are made from low-quality materials, which make them prone to damage from shocks and bumps.
- Short Lifespan: Their inefficient design contributes to their short lifespan, often breaking within just 1,000 miles of use.
- Unsatisfactory Customer Reviews: Numerous customers have left negative reviews for Sensen struts on various online platforms, warning others to steer clear of these products.
6. Cciyu Struts: Low Price, Low Quality, and Noisy Disappointment
Though Cciyu Struts come at a relatively low price, the saying “you get what you pay for” rings true in this case.
Some customers have had positive experiences, but many others have reported numerous negative aspects that make these struts a poor choice for your vehicle.
The Issues with Cciyu Struts:
- Inconsistent Quality: Customers have expressed concerns about the value for money offered by Cciyu Struts. While they are cheaper than other options, the quality often leaves much to be desired.
- Excessive Noise: One major drawback of Cciyu Struts is the noise they produce when installed in a vehicle. Whether mounted on the front, rear, or sides, these struts can create annoying sounds that detract from a comfortable driving experience.
- Unreliable Performance: The overall experience with Cciyu Struts is largely negative, with many customers reporting dissatisfaction with their purchase.
7. BAVAUTO Replacement Parts: Low Standards Galore
Last but not least, let’s discuss BAVAUTO Replacement Parts. This brand offers aftermarket struts that are, unfortunately, of a low standard.
When you think you’re getting a great deal, you’re actually getting a subpar product that’s bound to let you down.
Some key reasons to avoid BAVAUTO Replacement Parts:
- Low Standard: When it comes to struts, quality matters. BAVAUTO’s products simply don’t make the cut.
- Negative Customer Experiences: Users on various forums have reported dissatisfaction with BAVAUTO struts, citing their lackluster performance and short lifespan.
The Problems with Cheap Struts: A False Economy
Opting for cheap struts may seem like a good idea initially, as it can save you money upfront. However, in the long run, these low-cost alternatives can lead to several problems that could end up costing you more.
Here are some common issues associated with cheap struts:
- Poor Quality Materials: Cheap struts are often made with low-quality materials that are less durable and more prone to wear and tear. This can result in the struts failing prematurely, requiring frequent replacements.
- Inadequate Damping: Low-cost struts may not provide proper damping, which can lead to an uncomfortable and bumpy ride. This can negatively impact your driving experience and cause additional stress on other suspension components.
- Decreased Handling and Stability: Cheap struts can compromise your vehicle’s handling and stability, making it more challenging to control, especially in harsh weather conditions or on uneven road surfaces.
- Increased Noise and Vibration: Lower-quality struts can generate more noise and vibration during operation, which can be bothersome and may affect other parts of the vehicle over time.
- Reduced Lifespan: Inexpensive struts typically have a shorter lifespan compared to their higher-quality counterparts, meaning you’ll need to replace them more frequently. This can offset any initial cost savings.
- Potential Safety Risks: Poorly constructed struts can pose a safety hazard, as they may not adequately support your vehicle’s weight or maintain proper tire contact with the road. This can increase the risk of accidents or damage to your car.
Best Strut Brands: Quality, Comfort, and Durability
When it comes to strutting brands, not all are created equal. Some brands truly stand out for their excellent quality, performance, and durability.
I’ve done my homework and found the top strut brands that you can trust to deliver the best results for your car.
Let’s explore these brands and see what makes them stand out.
1. TrueDrive: Affordability Meets Quality
Are TrueDrive struts good? You bet! TrueDrive has become one of the most popular choices among car enthusiasts and professionals alike and for a good reason.
They offer a full line of exceptional products at fantastic prices. How do they do it? By simplifying costly distribution networks, TrueDrive can provide customers with high-quality, affordable options.
Every component they produce is made in the same top factories as other well-known brands, ensuring reliability and performance.
Moreover, all TrueDrive loaded struts come with a 1-year warranty for your peace of mind. So, if you’re looking for a quality strut brand without breaking the bank, TrueDrive is definitely worth considering.
2. Monroe: Unparalleled Quality and Comfort
When comparing Monroe vs Duralast struts, Monroe emerges as the clear winner. Monroe struts are renowned for their quality, longevity, and perfect fit. These products help improve driving comfort while delivering superior handling standards.
With a new Monroe quick strut, your vehicle will operate quietly and accurately, free from noise and vibration. You’ll definitely notice a difference in your car’s handling and performance.
So, if you’re seeking the best of the best, Monroe struts should be on your radar.
3. Motorcraft: Reliable and Affordable Performance
Motorcraft is another brand that makes some of the best and most affordable struts on the market. Their developer pricing allows various vehicle types to have their ride and handling restored without breaking the bank.
Motorcraft struts are designed for quick and easy installation, and they’re reasonably priced. Products from this brand undergo rigorous testing for temperature, valve durability, and other criteria, consistently scoring high marks.
Furthermore, Motorcraft ensures that its products are fully dustproof, keeping the struts free from debris and extending their lifespan. If you’re searching for a reliable and affordable strut brand, look no further than Motorcraft.
While no brand is perfect, these three strut brands have earned their place among the best. They consistently deliver quality, performance, and value that you can trust.
So, the next time you’re in need of new struts for your car, consider TrueDrive, Monroe, or Motorcraft. Your car – and your wallet – will thank you!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the average life of struts?
The average life of struts typically ranges from 50,000 to 100,000 miles. However, this can vary depending on factors such as driving conditions, vehicle type, and quality of the struts. It’s essential to regularly inspect and maintain your struts to ensure optimal performance and safety.
Do struts affect ride quality?
Yes, struts directly affect ride quality. They are a vital component of a vehicle’s suspension system, responsible for absorbing road imperfections and ensuring a smooth, comfortable ride. Worn or damaged struts can lead to a harsh or bouncy driving experience, negatively impacting overall ride quality and vehicle handling.
Selecting the right struts for your vehicle is crucial for ensuring a comfortable, safe, and enjoyable driving experience. While cheap struts may seem like an attractive option, they often come with numerous drawbacks, including poor-quality materials, reduced performance, and a shorter lifespan.
To avoid potential safety risks and additional expenses, it’s essential to invest in high-quality struts from reputable brands.
To make the best decision for your vehicle, steer clear of the worst strut brands, such as OEM Sachs Struts, ACDELCO, KYB, MOOG, Sensen Shocks & Struts, Cciyu Struts, and BAVAUTO Replacement Parts.
By doing your research and avoiding these problematic brands, you can ensure that your vehicle is equipped with reliable, durable, and high-performing struts that will provide a smooth and safe ride for years to come.
Steven Settles is a professional content writer with over 7 years of experience in writing for different niches, including brand reviews, technology, fitness, and more.
Currently, he is working as a content writer for WorstBrands, where he provides insightful reviews of different products, including home appliances, outdoor gear, fashion, and kitchen products. In his free time, Steven enjoys traveling and exploring new places.