There is no wonder that Maytag is included in the best options of electric home appliances for US users.
The company also has enough reputation for washing machines; however, some models have started to show some issues over time.
One of the common problems that you might face in a Maytag washer is its inability to drain properly.
One of the primary reasons your Maytag Washer not draining is the clogging of something in the drain hose. Sometimes, a few small objects might be stuck in the water supply or the hose you left in the clothes’ pocket.
Other reasons include a faulty drain pump filter, door switch failure, ripped water pump belt, or overloaded tub.
But you don’t need to call the company every time as we are here to make things easier for you.
Related: Washing Machine not draining
Related Blog: How to Fix Maytag Washer Shaking Violently on Spin Cycle
Table of Contents
How to fix A Maytag Washer not draining?
We will discuss all possible causes that may lead to your Maytag Washer not draining, followed by a few steps for troubleshooting in every case.
But before we go into the details, here is the table that provides quick solutions to the most common reasons for Maytag washer draining problems.
|Clogged Drain Hose||Turn off washer. Clean or straighten hose. Replace if broken.|
|Drain Pump Filter||Unplug washer. Locate, remove, and clean filter. Replace if damaged.|
|Defective Door Lock Motor||Check and replace door lock if damaged. Test door switch continuity with multimeter.|
|Faulty Drain Pump||Locate pump, clean debris. Replace if any component is damaged.|
|Damaged Water Pump Belt||Access rear panel, inspect belt condition. Replace if damaged.|
|Overloaded Washer||Fold and place clothes evenly. Follow user manual for loading guidelines. Ensure washer is on a level surface.|
|Defective Lid Switch||Test switch with washer on. Check continuity with multimeter. Replace if needed.|
|Coin Trap Failure||Locate and clean the coin trap. Replace if it appears worn out or ripped.|
1. Clogged Drain Hose:
The main purpose of a drain hose is to drain out the water from the washer. During laundry, small particles of fine fabrics often separate and get stuck in the drain hose; over time, these particles get clogged.
Dust and debris can also be choked in the drain hose, making it difficult to drain the water properly.
A clogged drain hose takes enough time to drain the water or may create puddles in the water. To fix this problem, just follow the procedures listed below.
- Firstly, make sure your washer is turned off.
- Straighten the drain hose gently, clean it properly and take out everything if you see any object stuck.
- If the drain hose is not cleaned efficiently or is broken somewhere, you need to replace it with a new one.
2. Drain Pump Filter:
A pump drains the used and excess water after the washing cycle. The drain pump filter prevents the drain hose from clogging or kinking so the water drains out completely.
The tiny particles of clothes in the drain pump filter clog the filter.
But if you check the drain pump filter clean after a few uses to make it clean, you won’t have to face this problem.
If you still have draining issues with your Maytag washer, follow the steps below.
- Unplug your Maytag washer first.
- Search for the drain pump filter at the bottom of your washer or behind the front panel.
- Pull out the filter by losing its cap, and clean it gently.
- Fix it back at its place properly and check it by turning on your washer; it should work.
- If the filter is damaged, have an alternative to replace it.
3. Defective Door Lock Motor:
The door lock motor is responsible for beginning the operation in the Maytag front load washer.
If the door is not locked properly, the door switch does not allow the washer to work properly; thus, there is no draining. Here is how you can troubleshoot a defective door lock.
- First of all, look at the door lock. If it is damaged, replace it.
- The door lock can also fail to work due to an electric cause. To check it, take your trusty multimeter and test the continuity of the door switch.
- If it shows fine connectivity on the multimeter, it will be fine, and you can move to the next test.
- If there is no continuity in the door switch, then replace it or call a professional to resolve this problem.
4. Faulty Drain Pump:
The drain pump in your Maytag washer plays a vital role in draining. There is an impeller in the drain pump, which spins whenever the pump is on.
It is responsible for taking out the water from the tub of the washer and expelling it out through the drain hose.
The drain pump may be affected due to the broken impeller inside the drain pump and the small pieces of clothing that accumulate in the pump during the process.
If the drain pump is broken, that’s probably the reason why your Maytag Washing Machine not draining. Check out the following steps to solve this issue.
- Unplug your washer from the main socket.
- Locate the drain pump. Most of the Maytag washers are located in the front bottom part of the washer.
- If you see any debris or small pieces of fabric or anything, clean it and check if it is working after that. It should be functioning correctly.
- But if you find any drain pump component is broken or damaged, free it from hoses and keep a new one.
5. Damaged Water Pump Belt:
Many users still use old Maytag washers. If you are one of them and your washer is not draining properly, a deteriorated water pump belt can explain this issue.
Instead of using electrical spin in that Maytag washer, an impeller in the drain pump takes power from the belt and spins, which allows the draining of the water.
So if the belt does not give the power to the impeller, it does not spin, and there will be no draining at all.
You can fix this solution at home on your own by following the steps below.
- Make sure your washer is not unplugged.
- Tilt the washer to the wall a little bit so you can easily access the back panel. It’s at the bottom of the washer.
- Unscrew and remove the rear panel. The water belt will be visible below the washer tub.
- See if there is any damage or fault in any way. Consider the replacement. It should be working without any.
- It should neither be too stretchy nor loose.
6. Overloaded Washer:
Suppose there is a proper draining process, and you see that the clothes are wet after the washing circle. In that case, it can be due to overloading your Maytag washer.
The overloaded machine can cause unbalanced spinning, leaving some of the clothes wet, which might cause the Maytag washer not draining.
You may also hear some noise from the appliance if your washer is overloaded. It is possible to remedy this issue by following the methods outlined above.
- Firstly, fold the clothes in the right way and then place them in the washer.
- Manage the load evenly in the tub and wash the large items separately to avoid any disturbance.
- You can also follow the user manual instructions to know the capacity of your Maytag washer model.
- Also, adjust the unit on a level surface or use a stand to perfectly balance the washer.
7. Defective Lid Switch:
If the lid is closed properly, it activates the switch and allows the spinning. Then, the water drains from the drain hose on the top load Maytag washer after every washing cycle.
The appliance won’t spin or drain when the lid isn’t properly closed. You can check the lid switch by pressing it.
- Keep your washer on.
- Press the lid switch; test your switch with a multimeter if it doesn’t drain.
- If it shows no continuity, then you will need to replace it.
8. Coin Trap Failure:
Some of the models also come with a coin trap that tries to collect every kind of foreign and small object during the draining process.
Though the coin trap is equipped to avoid clogging the unit, the component can also be choked if not cleaned periodically, eventually affecting the draining quality. Go through the following steps to fix it.
- Locate the coin trap that is mostly at the front bottom of the unit, hidden by some cover.
- Remove the trap and make it clean out of any dust and debris. You can also wash it.
- Place the unit back and lock the cover or panel.
- If the coin trap looks too old or completely ripped, replace it.
You may also want to troubleshoot:
- Beko Washing Machine not draining
- How to Fix Whirlpool Washer Not Draining (6 Easy Steps)
- Hotpoint washer won’t drain – Troubleshooting Guide
- GE washing machine won’t drain
To sum up, these were a few of the most common problems why your Maytag washer not draining.
Most of the time, clogging or blockage of something in the washer causes problems by not draining water properly.
Therefore, you should always use your washer carefully and leave the unit properly cleaned.
Nevertheless, if the case is not that simple, call the company or hire a professional.
Don’t forget to check the warranty lifetime. It is recommended to replace the whole unit if the repair costs you more than half of the original price.
Crystal Hafley is a dedicated writer and content creator for WorstBrands, where she specializes in writing insightful reviews about kitchen appliances and fashion products.
With her expertise, Crystal provides readers with accurate and reliable information to help them make informed decisions about the brands and products they use every day. When she's not researching or writing, Crystal enjoys cooking and exploring the latest fashion trends.