Whether you are looking for a Motorhome, travel trailer, an RV, or a fifth wheel, there is always something right for you.
When it comes to RVs, there are certain times of the year when you should consider buying.
The best time to buy an RV is before the peak season because dealers often offer discounts and promotions during this time.
There are many benefits to buying an RV at the beginning of the year. People usually start their RV buying process in January, and it’s a good idea to plan ahead.
What are the advantages of buying an RV in January?
An RV can save you a lot of money, especially if you buy one with a good warranty. And it’s easier to find financing because there’s less competition for loans.
In this article, I’m going to share the details on how to find great deals on RVs and what you need to know before you go shopping.
Table of Contents
- What is the Best Month to Buy an RV?
- Should You Buy an RV in 2022?
- How to Save Money on RV
- Determine your needs before buying an RV:
- Look for RV Shows for best RV Deals:
- Avoid Weekends & Vacations for the best RV Deals:
- Buying An RV From a Dealership:
- Find a Friendly Salesperson:
- Buying a Used RV From a Private Person, Best Tips:
- Buy RV Before the Release of New Models:
- Buy at the End of the Season
- Tips for Getting the Best RV Prices while purchasing:
- Special Winter Deals Mean Good Prices
- Slightly Used RVs Are The Best, Used RVs You Can Buy
- 6 Things You Should Know Before Buying Your First RV
- Pros and Cons of Owning and Selling Your RV
What is the Best Month to Buy an RV?
If you consider buying an RV and wondering which month is best to buy, then stop wondering?
According to experts, the best months to buy an RV are November, December, and January.
Knowing what those times are can save you thousands. However, you need to be ready to act quickly.
When deciding on the best month to buy an RV, there are various other things to consider.
We will discuss these factors below and will also share a few proven tips to help you out with the best RV deal.
Should You Buy an RV in 2022?
Yes, buying an RV and visiting different places in your RV can be a good deal in 2022. Also, one can do his online job from his RV and Camper easily.
But make sure to check the list of the travel trailer brands to avoid before you make any decision.
How to Save Money on RV
Here are some of my tips that might help you in saving a few dollars when you are buying your next RV.
Determine your needs before buying an RV:
- What do you want in an RV?
- How many people will use it?
- Where will you take it?
Consider all these factors before buying an RV. Areas that might need consideration:
- You should consider getting an RV with a slide-out instead of a pop-up camper. A slide-out gives you more living space and makes your RV much more livable.
- If you plan on taking your RV on the road, you should get an RV with at least 4 wheels. This will give you better handling and more stability.
- If you like to camp in the woods, then you should get an RV with at least 500 lb. of tow capacity.
Look for RV Shows for best RV Deals:
There are several RV shows that take place each year. These shows are excellent opportunities for savvy RV buyers to find great deals.
Below are a few of the major RV shows you should attend:
New York City – Spring: New York City is one of the best places to shop for RVs. There are hundreds of RV dealers here, and you can easily spend a week visiting all their lots.
You can also visit the Javits Center (the world’s largest trade show and conference facility), conveniently located just West of Midtown Manhattan.
Los Angeles – Summer: This is another great place to buy an RV. There are dozens of RV dealers here, and you can easily spend a week visiting all their lots.
San Diego – Spring/Summer: There are dozens of RV dealers here, and you can easily spend a week visiting all their lots.
Florida – Spring: Florida is another good state to shop for an RV. There are several RV dealers here with great prices, and you can easily visit 2 or 3 of them in a single week.
Arizona – Fall: Another good state to shop for an RV. There are several RV dealers here with great prices, and you can easily visit 2 or 3 of them in a single week.
Las Vegas – Spring: Another good city to buy an RV.
Avoid Weekends & Vacations for the best RV Deals:
Don’t Go On Vacation If You Want To Save Big! Between November and January is the best time to buy an RV.
This is when many dealers have their inventory on hand and are willing to sell at a reasonable price.
But, be careful. Many dealers will raise the price as high as they can during this period.
They do this because they know many people going on vacation and won’t be around to ask questions.
So, if possible, try to avoid going on vacation during this period. I hope you found this information helpful.
If so, feel free to pass it on to anyone you think might find it useful. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to write us.
Buying An RV From a Dealership:
Too often, people buy an RV from a dealership without knowing what they are getting themselves into.
Usually, these people end up spending 10 times as much as they would have if they had shopped around.
That’s not to say all dealers are like this, but most of them are.
And, it’s worth mentioning that in many cases, the dealer will actually finance the deal and add about 20% to the cost of the RV.
Dealers hate losing money, and they will do almost anything to make sure they keep it.
So, if you are going to buy an RV from a dealer, here are a few things you should insist on: Make Sure The Dealer Has A Good Reputation!
Find a Friendly Salesperson:
Look for someone who is approachable, easy-to-talk-with, and honest.
Don’t hesitate to ask questions and make sure the answers you get are straightforward and complete.
Also, look for someone who has been in the business a long time and is not just “dancing around” the issue. If he can’t or won’t give you straight answers, find someone else.
You can always cancel the deal later if you have to, but don’t let this stop you from getting started.
Just remember, You Get What You Pay For! A lot of people think they are getting a good deal from a dealer when in fact, they are often getting cheated.
Buying a Used RV From a Private Person, Best Tips:
Buying a used RV directly from a private person can be a good deal, especially if you are flexible.
There’s no middleman, and you may get a better deal than buying new.
However, this is not always the case. If you are willing to do a little research, you can often find better deals buying pre-owned RVs from a dealer.
How do you know if you are getting a good deal when buying a used RV from a dealer?
I will give you a simple way to determine how much a used RV is really worth and whether or not it is in good condition.
Going to an RV show is by far the best way to go if you want to buy an RV from a private person. Shows like this one are not about making a profit.
They are about getting your hands on as many RVs as possible so you can test drive them and decide which one is right for you.
If you are serious and really want to get the best deal possible, this is the way to go.
However, shows like this are not cheap. They can be very costly to attend, so checking the show charges before attending is better.
That’s a big chunk of change, especially if you are on a tight budget.
Buy RV Before the Release of New Models:
On the whole, it will be cheaper to buy an older model than a newer one. Why?
Simply because newer models are in much higher demand and as a result, they are costly to sell.
Look for an RV that has been well-maintained. Does it have all of its original equipment, including the engine, air conditioning, water heater, sewerage system, and so on?
If not, ask the seller how long he has had the RV and if he can show you the maintenance records.
Ask him to let you inspect these records. If they are complete and easily accessible, inspect them before you buy.
Buy at the End of the Season
The summer months are the most popular time for people to buy RVs.
This is when the dealers have the most RVs to sell, and they are eager to unload them onto eager buyers. However, the end of the season is not the best time to buy. Why?
Simply because the dealers then have to deal with the hassle of trying to find a new owner for the RV they have just sold to you.
The longer you own an RV, the less likely you will experience this kind of hassle. Also, at the end of the season, there are fewer “deals” to be had.
RVs that are in great condition and have no problems will still be for sale at the end of the season.
Tips for Getting the Best RV Prices while purchasing:
If you want to get the absolute best price while buying an RV, the first thing you must do is to let everybody know you are looking for one.
Tell everyone who might be interested in selling an RV or know anyone who might be selling one.
The more people who know about your need for an RV, the more options you will get, and it will be easier for you to make a decision.
A few more tips are below:
- Do not fall in love with anyone model. Keep your options open by looking at several different makes and models.
- Do not feel compelled to buy an RV that has only one particular feature you like. For example, if you like slide-outs, look for an RV that has this feature as well as many others you like.
- Do not base your decision on the price of the RV alone. Look at other factors like how much time the dealer wants for you to test drive the vehicle, the condition of the vehicle, and so on.
- Be wary of any dealer who pressures you into buying an RV immediately.
Special Winter Deals Mean Good Prices
Look for Winter Sales! The ideal time to buy an RV is during the winter when you have more choices.
When other people are looking to unload their units, they usually look to sell them quickly at a steep discount.
Winter is the slowest time of the year for most campers and motorhomes. However, many dealers use this time to clean out their inventories and compensate for the sluggish summer sales.
Slightly Used RVs Are The Best, Used RVs You Can Buy
If possible, buy a slightly used RV. This will give you extra options when it comes to repairs.
If you have a new RV, you should insist on getting one that has at least 150-200 miles on it.
That way, if there is any major mechanical breakdown, you will be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. Unless you are absolutely certain you want an RV, don’t wait until the last minute to make your decision.
Make your choice as soon as you know for sure. By then, it may be too late to get the price or deal you want.
6 Things You Should Know Before Buying Your First RV
Before you start your next big adventure, there are a few things that you should know about your first RV.
- RVs come in different sizes and shapes.
- RVs can be used as year-round homes, but they’re best suited for certain times of the year
- RV is the abbreviation for Recreational Vehicle:
- You’ll need to make sure that your RV will fit where you want to park
- There’s a lot of customization options; make sure to think about what you want
- Make sure to read up on all the rules and regulations that pertain to your state or province before making any purchase decisions.
Every day, people are looking to buy and sell their RVs. Owning an RV is a big decision and should be done thoughtfully and well thought out.
Pros and Cons of Owning and Selling Your RV
There are many benefits and drawbacks of owning and selling your RV that you should keep in mind when making this decision.
- Ownership gives you the freedom to live anywhere, anytime
- Resale value is typically higher than buying one brand new
- You can add on to or modify the features of your RV whenever you like;
- You do not need to pay for insurance when owning an RV
- Easier to travel with an RV
- The size of the average motorhome is growing.
- Keep memories: People who keep their old RVs tend to preserve memories of past camping trips, family gatherings, and other special occasions.
- As RVs continue to rise in popularity, they had also become more difficult to trade in for a new one due to their aging nature and higher value today than their original purchase price.
- The cost of maintenance, the cost of insurance, and the cost of storage are very high.
RVs are a great investment for anyone looking for a long-term travel solution. However, RVs are not a good idea if you only plan to use them for a short trip.
If you are interested in buying an RV, I recommend doing your research and finding the best deal possible.
Remember that if you decide that RVing isn’t for you, you can always sell it later for a profit.